Friday, March 07, 2008

Why God Why?

Today I received a pass along email from my sister. It was from a friend of hers whose sister has been missing since 1985. The sister, a 15 year old, disappeared on the way home from school and hasn't been seen since. Twenty-three years! Since I'm really close to both my sisters and even close to my brothers, I can't imagine not knowing where one of them is for 23 years. I can't imagine or understand God allowing that kind of pain for that length of time. Where is the joy cometh in the morning? Where is HE?

Lisa, my sister's friend, must have asked the same questions but I can't speak for her so it's only a guess. As I watched her video, http://www.youtube.com/user/MissingMySister I couldn't help but wonder how we keep walking in faith when God seems so distant and the world just plain cruel. Anyone want to take a shot at that one?

I don't think asking "Why" of God is a bad thing. I don't think it means I am less of a Christian but there are many people who do. These are the people who will say, "God works in mysterious ways" and expect you not to cry. I will cry and rail against God even while I love Him. It's my right as a flawed but trying to be faithful child. I want Lisa to find her sister. I want her 23 years of uncertainty to be over. I want her to know that God hasn't forgotten her. But all I know of Lisa is that she wants to find her sister.

No comments: