Saturday, September 15, 2007

Does God Care About Our Obedience

I don't get it. Yesterday I heard that the man I report to at work, indirectly since he is my director's boss, is leaving. Now this is a good thing because he is and has been an absolutely lousy boss. He is insensitive, self-involved, arbitrary and disengaged from the department. In almost two years in his role as VP, he does not have a single real accomplishment that he can point to that says he has moved our department forward and in the process he hurt a lot of people. Does this sound harsh? Probably but it's still the truth. So here's this guy who did less than nothing in his time as our SVP and what does God allow to happen? Does the truth get revealed and he gets canned? Does he get shown out the door with his tail between his legs? No...he gets a better job at another company with a bigger title and probably a bigger salary. Now this man is a Christian and I'm sure he loves his wife and children. He may be a great friend and a devout believer. But still he was a lousy boss and a drain professionally so why does God reward him in the areas where he seems to... no did cause so much pain? So maybe God rewards us not for our obedience in every area of our lives, maybe he doesn't care about how we're obedient, just that we are. Maybe He doesn't segment our behaviours and draws no distinction between our sins and our saintliness. If this is true then I can be a jerk to my employees and a blessing to my family and God will still reward me in one or the other at His will. What is the incentive to be good to everyone? What is the incentive to be and act true to what I profess I believe? What I do believe? His ways are not our ways. That's what the Bible says and it must be true because everything I think I understand about God changes when events like this one with the SVP occur. I want justice for injustice and God uses His own scale. He uses different weights and different measures so how can I judge. I don't understand the balance that He seeks.

No comments: