Saturday, September 08, 2007

She's back

After a nearly two year hiatus, I've decided to pick up my blog. Why? Probably because the world seems even more lacking in common sense now than it did then. So how do I impact that? How does yet another blog in a world full of blogs do anything other than add to the noise? I have no idea but at least it will be an outlet for me to speak about the things that are important without bending the ears of my family and friends with yet another political diatribe. They hear enough from me.

But I am writing about so much more than just politics...common sense or the lack thereof is all around us today. But for today I'm focused on politics and Common Sense.

Someone recently told me that "Common sense isn't common". Can we all just say amen! Look around and ask yourself the last time you saw someone in politics display real, genuine common sense. Someone who saw the problem and solved it without first worrying about their party, their re-election campaign, their poll numbers. Someone who said, let me do what's right for the country. Sometimes I wonder if anyone in politics even thinks about the country or the people anymore.

I can find plenty of examples of politicians without a lick of sense...just watch CNN, MSNBC or my personal favorite for "no sense at all" on full display at all times, FOXNews. But the observation isn't just limited to politicians...look at the reporters too. Diane Sawyer interviews new presidential candidate Fred Thompson and doesn't hit back when he doesn't answer a single question. Okay I'm rambling a bit but finding examples of common sense in the media are rarer than finding a truthful answer in the Bush Administration. I mean think about it...for most Americans the media is our voice of common sense. We expect them to ask the questions we can't ask because they are the ones with access. But aside from Keith Olbermann, who may just well be the savior of common sense in the newsroom and he's not even a journalist, I think that most reporters have checked their brains and their common sense at the door. Take for example, the coverage of the Alberto Gonzales mess. Here's a man who didn't have a law license, who no one had any confidence in but who still got confirmed as Attorney General. Here's a man who gave new meaning to hitting the glass ceiling of incompetence and still got to be the top Cop, confirmed by a Senate full of allegedly smart people. For almost two years, the media at large, the supposedly liberal media, gave this guy a pass as he ran roughshod over civil liberties and the Constitution. Now that he's been forced out of office, they are patting themselves on the back for getting on the story. Hello...you missed the story. Alberto was never the story...the lose of civil liberties, the expansion of presidential powers, the torture of prisoners, the desecration of the Constitution was the story. And they all missed it! And saddest of all...they still don't realize it and neither does the majority of America.

No comments: